“I am telling you now before it happens so that when it does happen, you will believe that I am Who I am.” (John 13:19).
The world is approaching a notable period of history—the Tribulation period. The Bible references to the Tribulation by many names; Daniel’s 70th week, the time of Jacob’s sorrow, the time of God’s wrath, etc. Jesus prophesied that it would be a time of unprecedented upheaval. Still, the Bible notes that in the midst of this dark season God will move. The Lord Jesus will come bringing His army of saints to win a great victory over the enemies of Israel, and rescue all believers who got saved during the 7 year Tribulation. This article presents a biblically-based overview of the prophecies associated with Tribulation events.
Bible prophecies provide a clear picture of what will happen during the coming Tribulation period. Some believe Bible prophecies regarding judgments appear to indicate God is angry or mean. However, the opposite is true. God is not angry—God warns whom He loves, and only as a last resort does He use drastic measures to turn individuals toward a better way.
This writer believes that if the world turned to Christ today, the prophecied future Tribulations would not occur. But God knows that humanity is willful, and knows the choices they will make. Therefore the prophecies will come true. In the last seven years of our history, God will bring Tribulation and wrath to the earth. To prove He’s angry? No. To bring humanity to repentance and offer salvation. This writing provides a biblically-based overview of the Tribulations period events that are prophesied to come.
TRIBULATION PERIOD PROPHECIES
Note: The following prophecies are not in chronological order
- Israel will enter into a peace treaty: The Antichrist will impose a “covenant with the many” which will include Israel (Daniel 9:27; 8:23-25). It is this ‘covenant’ that initiates the seven-year Tribulation period.
- Israel will be at peace and “without walls” before the invasion from the north (Ezekiel 38:8-11). The sense of security is likely, in large part, the result of the peace covenant noted above. The invasion from the north will likely come after the mid-point of the Tribulation period.
- The third Temple will be built in Jerusalem: Daniel, Jesus, Paul, and John refer to a Temple being in Jerusalem in the last days. This event is referenced in Daniel 9:27, 12:11; Mark 13:14; 2 Thess. 2:4; and Rev. 11:1-2. Note: Plans for the construction of the new Temple are complete.
- Temple sacrifices will be reinstituted in Israel in the last days (Daniel 9:27; 12:11).
- Temple sacrifices will be forbidden: At the mid-point of the Tribulation period, the Antichrist will seize control of the Temple, abruptly end the daily sacrifices and proclaim himself to be God. (Revelation 13).
- Believers sealed by the Spirit: The Holy Spirit will ‘seal’ 12,000 Jewish believers from each of the 12 tribes of Israel. This is very likely a symbolic number representing a vast and perfect number of believers God uses to evangelize the world (Rev. 7). Along with these sealed witnesses will come two great prophets (Rev. 11:3-14). These prophet witnesses will preach with power for 31/2 years, and then be put to death. Their deaths will be celebrated by many. Their bodies will lie in the street for three days, after which they will be miraculously resurrected and taken up into Heaven.
- Revival: During the Tribulation, many will turn to Jesus (Revelation 7:9-17; Daniel 12:10; Zechariah 2:11; Isaiah 19:16-25).
- Earthquakes: Great earthquakes will shake the world during the Tribulation period (Revelation 6:12, 8:5, 11:13, 16:18, etc.).
- Vegetation decimated: Revelation 8:7 notes that the first trumpet judgment will bring the destruction of 1/3 of all vegetation on Earth.
- Meteor or Comet falls into the sea: Revelation 8:8-9 notes that the second trumpet judgment facilitates something falling into the sea, and destroying 1/3 of life in all seas.
- Wormwood: Similar to the second trumpet judgment, the third trumpet judgment facilitates something falling to the earth which causes fresh water to turn bitter—resulting in the death of many.
- Reduction of light: The fourth trumpet judgment brings about a reduction of light (from the sun, moon, and stars) by 1/3.
- Tormenting creatures: The fifth trumpet judgment will bring scorpion-like creatures from the demon world. These creatures torment humanity, but they do not cause death, only grievous Some suggest that these creatures will not be able to torment believers in Jesus Christ.
- Forced worship of the Antichrist: 2 Thessalonians 2 and Revelation 13 note that the Beast (the Antichrist) will force all to worship him. Failure to do so will result in starvation, ridicule, and death. Proof of allegiance to the Antichrist will include receiving a mark on the hand or forehead.
- Sores on those who receive the mark: Revelation 16:1-2 notes that those who accept the mark of the Beast, signifying their worship of him, will contract painful sores (KJV reads, ‘boils’) on their body.
- Refuge: Ancient Petra (located in Jordan) will become a place of refuge for believers (Isaiah 16:1-4; Matthew 24:16; Revelation 12:6,14).
- A great army from the east: The sixth trumpet announces the coming of a great army from the east (two hundred million men). This army advances toward Israel and leaves devastation in its wake. (Revelation 9:13)
- The Euphrates River blocked or dried-up: The great river Euphrates will dry-up allowing armies from the east to advance toward Israel. (Revelation 16:12).
- The Antichrist wounded: Revelation 13 notes that the Antichrist will apparently suffer a fatal wound to the head, but will recover to the amazement of many—a manifestation that increases his following.
- The Woman Who Rides The Beast: Revelation 17 (and Jeremiah 50-51) notes the judgment on this woman—also called the Whore of Babylon and Mystery Babylon. This is the judgment of a nation, not an individual.
- Life in seas and rivers dies: Revelation 16:3 indicates that remaining life in the sea dies as the second vial of judgment is poured out. The death toll is such that the oceans become as blood. The third vial of judgment brings about the death of life in the rivers (Revelation 16:4).
- Scorching heat: The fourth vial of judgment brings scorching heat which causes misery and devastates vegetation. (What hasn’t already died from lack of water)
- Darkness: The fifth vial of judgment brings anomalous darkness and painful maladies, some translations say ‘plagues.’ (Revelation 16:10-11).
- War: There will be a series of wars—the last great series of wars are collectively referred to as the battle of Armageddon.
- Victory: Though surrounded by her enemies, God will intervene, and Israel will prevail in the great battle of Armageddon. The enemy will be vanquished. Satan and the Beast will be bound and thrown into the pit. Jesus Christ will begin His Millennial Reign and bring peace and justice to the earth. (Revelation 19-21).
This article is presented to inform and warn, not to frighten. Tribulation and prophecied judgments will come, so will Jesus Christ. He will rescue and reign over true peace for a thousand years!
The storms of Tribulation will come, but it is possible to have peace in the story. Real peace comes only by believing in and following the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ. Accepting Jesus as Savior brings forgiveness, joy, hope, help, and the promise of eternity in Heaven.
Bible prophecy reveals how God will move in the last days—though we may not understand or appreciate every aspect of His plan, we can be confident that God is good, and that means, in the end, God and good will prevail.
There will be unrest. There will be wars and rumors of wars. Jesus will return. Are you ready? Will you commit to being ALL IN for Him? Will you make serving Him, growing in Him and witnessing for Him the priority of your life? God expects believers to be “active in well doing” (Galatians 6:9). And know this: A great reward awaits those found doing the right thing, in the right way, at the right time, at the right place, and with the right heart when the Lord returns.
“So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect Him. Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the Master has put in charge of the servants in His household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose Master finds him doing so when He returns.” Matthew 24:44-46
I Am A Watchman Ministries materials are copyrighted. Use and redistribution is subject to standard Fair Use Guidelines – Any use in published work (either print or ebooks) must include the copyright reference: “Copyrighted resource of iamawatchman, Inc. All rights reserved. Used by permission.” NOTE: Articles which are re-posted online, in part or total, must include the above statement. We ask that re-posts also include an active link to www.iamawatchman.com