Coming Judgements and Bible Prophecy (Not Profiled in the Book of Revelation)
Bible prophecy speaks of coming judgments on the earth. Some believe Bible prophecies regarding judgments indicate that God is mean and angry. However, the opposite is true. God is not angry—God warns whom He loves, and only as a last resort does He resort to drastic measures to prompt individuals toward a better way. As many are aware of the 21 judgments profiled in the book of Revelation (7 bowl judgments, 7 seal judgments, and 7 trumpet judgments), this writing will provide a biblically-based overview of the coming judgments noted elsewhere in the Bible.
COMING TO THE EARTH
Judgments not mentioned in the book of Revelation
Noted below are a few verses profiling coming judgments on the earth. Note that these judgments will come, not because God does not care about humanity, but because humanity is willful. God knows there are times when mankind only responds to what one might call, ‘divine tough love.’ The verse below notes the rationale for God’s actions.
“At night my soul longs for You. Indeed, my spirit within me seeks You diligently; for when the earth experiences Your judgments the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.” (Isaiah 26:9)
Verses profiling coming judgments
- “Those who contend with the LORD will be shattered… The LORD will judge the ends of the earth…He will give strength to His king, and will exalt the horn of His anointed.” (1 Samuel 2:10)
- “[God] shakes the earth…and its pillars tremble…” (Job 9:6)
- “The sound of Your thunder was in the whirlwind; the lightnings lit up the world; the earth trembled and shook.” (Psalms 77:18)
- “…Go into the caverns of the rocks and the clefts of the cliffs before the terror of the LORD …when He arises to make the earth tremble.” (Isaiah 2:21)
- “He is the LORD…His judgments are [on]…the earth.” (1 Chronicles 16:14)
- “Mountains quake…and the hills dissolve; indeed the earth is upheaved by His presence…and the inhabitants in it.” (Nahum 1:5)
- “Then the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were laid bare by the rebuke of the Lord…” (2 Samuel 22:16)
- “You have made the land quake, You have split it open; heal its breaches, for it totters.” (Psalms 60:2)
- “Behold, the LORD lays the earth waste, devastates it, distorts its surface and scatters its inhabitants…The earth will be completely laid waste and completely despoiled, for the LORD has spoken this word.” (Isaiah 24:1-6)
- “And all the host of Heaven will wear away, and the sky will be rolled up like a scroll; all their hosts will also wither away like a leaf withers from the vine, or as one withers from the fig tree. For My sword…shall descend for judgment upon Edom and upon the people whom I have devoted to destruction…” (Isaiah 34:4-15)
- “…They pour out drink offerings to other gods to spite Me…Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, ‘Behold, My anger, and My wrath will be poured out on this place, on man and on beast and on the trees of the field and on the fruit of the ground; and it will burn and not be quenched.’” (Jeremiah 7:18-20)
- “Therefore wait for Me,” declares the LORD, “For the day when I rise up as a witness Indeed, My decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out on them My indignation, all My burning anger; for all the earth will be devoured by the fire of My zeal.” (Zephaniah 3:8-9)
- “You have made the land quake, You have split it open; heal its breaches, for it totters.” (Psalm 60:2)
- “The earth is broken asunder…split through [and]…shaken violently. The earth reels to and fro like a drunkard…for its transgression are heavy upon it…” (Isaiah 24:19)
- “Hear, O peoples…listen, O earth…and let the Lord GOD be a witness against you, the Lord from His holy temple. For behold, the LORD is coming…He will come down and tread on the high places of the earth.” (Micah 1:5-7)
- “Do they spite Me?” declares the LORD. “Is it not themselves they spite, to their own shame?” Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, “Behold, My anger and My wrath will be poured out on this place, on man and on the beast and on the trees of the field and on the fruit of the ground; and it will burn and not be quenched.” (Jeremiah 7:19-20)
- “[He] shakes the earth…and its pillars tremble.” (Job 9:6)
- “For the stars of Heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.” (Isaiah 13:10)
- “And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogance of the proud to cease…” (Isaiah 13:11)
- “Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place…” (Isa. 13:13)
- “The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard…and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it, and it shall fall, and not rise again.” (Isaiah 24:20)
- “Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the LORD of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem…” (Isaiah 24:23)
- “And when I shall put thee out, I will…make the stars thereof dark; I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon shall not give her light. All the bright lights of Heaven will I make dark over thee, and set darkness upon thy land, saith the Lord GOD.” (Ezekiel 32:7-8)
Jeremiah the prophet notes the judgments coming to the evil nation or system of the last days (called Mystery Babylon or the Woman who rides the beast). See the bold type.
JEREMIAH 50: “This is the word the Lord spoke through Jeremiah… 2‘Babylon will be captured… 3 A nation from the north will attack her and lay waste her land. 4…the people of Israel…will go in tears to seek the Lord their God. 5 They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it. 10 So Babylonia will be plundered; all who plunder her will have their fill… 14 Take up your positions around Babylon, all you who draw the bow. Shoot at her! Spare no arrows for she has sinned against the Lord. 15 …She surrenders, her towers fall… 22 The noise of battle is in the land, the noise of great destruction! 23 How broken and shattered is the hammer of the whole earth! 26 …Come against her from afar… 31See, I am against you, you arrogant one,’ declares the Lord, the Lord Almighty, ‘for your day has come…’”
JEREMIAH 51: “See, I will stir up the spirit of a destroyer against Babylon and the people of Leb Kamai (an athbash, a kind of acronym or code based on numbering Hebrew letters. The reference here is the equivalent of Chaldea, which Jer. 25:26 associates with Babylon) 7…Babylon was a gold cup in the Lord’s hand… 8 Babylon will suddenly fall and be broken. Wail over her! Get balm for her pain; perhaps she can be healed. The Lord will carry out his purpose…13 You who live by many waters and are rich in treasures; your end has come… 14…I will surely fill you with troops…and they will shout in triumph over you… 33 “Daughter Babylon is like a threshing floor at the time it is trampled… 41 “How Sheshak (an athbash, a kind of acronym or code based on numbering Hebrew letters. The reference here is the equivalent of Babylon) …will be captured, the boast of the whole earth will be seized!”
This article is presented not to frighten, but to inform and warn. Scholars can verify the fulfillment of more than 900 general prophecies. Because the accuracy rate of fulfilled Bible prophecy is 100%, there is a 100% probability the remaining 100 or so prophecies will unfold as foretold.
The call then is not to have fear, but to have faith. True faith is evidenced when one accepts Jesus into their heart as Lord and Savior and puts their trust in Him. From that decision flows forgiveness, joy, hope, help, and the promise of eternity in Heaven. Bible prophecy reveals how God will move in the last days—though we may not understand or appreciate every aspect of His plan, we can be confident that God is good, and that in the end good will prevail.
There will be unrest. There will be wars and rumors of wars. Jesus will return. Are you ready? Will you commit to being ALL IN for Him (which means you make serving Him, growing in Him and witnessing for Him the priority of your life)? God expects believers to be active in well doing (Galatians 6:9). And know this: A great reward awaits those found doing the right thing, in the right way, at the right time, at the right place, and with the right heart when the Lord returns.
“So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns.” (Matthew 24:44-46)
I Am A Watchman Ministries materials are copyrighted. Use and redistribution is subject to standard Fair Use Guidelines – Any use in published work (either print or ebooks) must include the copyright reference: “Copyrighted resource of iamawatchman, Inc. All rights reserved. Used by permission.” NOTE: Articles which are re-posted online, in part or total, must include the above statement. We ask that re-posts also include an active link to www.iamawatchman.com
All Pastoral Kits resources are free and available to use as you wish within the above guidelines. Make changes that best fit your application, and feel free to make unlimited copies and distribute them as needed. Our prayer is that God will use these resources to prepare people for the soon return of Jesus Christ. Finish Well.