America in Prophecy – The Future of the USA
Where is America in Bible Prophecy? Many have questioned why the United States is not clearly or prominently mentioned in Scripture. Surely such a world power would be part of any end times battles, especially with Israel, one of her strongest allies. Yet, there does not seem to be any apparent reference to the US. EU Nation states are identifiable; Russia and China are, as well at least three other major world powers. Where is America?
Last days prophecies center on Israel, the Jewish people, war, and natural disasters. America has been used by God to assist the Jewish people and played a key role in helping Israel become a sovereign and independent nation. Further, America has liberated countries, aided countries impacted by natural disasters, and sent out more missionaries to more regions than any nation in history. The role that America will play in the last days, however, is not clear. Bible scholars of many nationalities want to know, not just those who live in America. A few options are noted below.
Is America profiled in Bible prophecy? There are at least four possibilities.
- America is not mentioned in Scripture because she is outside the focus of John’s Revelation narrative, or because America plays no significant role in End-Time events.
- America is mentioned—symbolized as the great eagle in Revelation 12, or possibly Isaiah 18:1-2.
- America is mentioned—referenced as the Daughter of Babylon and represented by the woman who rides the Beast, or the Whore of Babylon in Revelation 13, 17 and 18.
- America is mentioned—referred to a young lion in Ezekiel 38.
Option 1: America is not specifically noted in Scripture.
Some Christians believe no clearly identifiable reference to America is found in End Times Prophecy. Those who hold this position often suggest the US is simply outside the focus of the Revelation narrative. This certainly makes sense; the Apostle John did not even know the continent existed. It is also possible America is not mentioned because she simply plays no significant role in End-Time events.
It may be the book of Revelation maintains a strict focus on Israel and the nations who have direct interaction with Israel in the last seven years of history. The absence of direct or explicit references to America in Scripture may indicate the United States will not attack Israel, provide significant support to Israel, or play any role in End-Time battles involving Israel.
Another option is that in the last days, America desires to support Israel, but can’t because of a calamity, economic hardship, poor leadership, or because she has suffered the judgment of God. Romans 1:18-23 notes that the nation who embraces wickedness and opposes or suppresses truth will eventually suffer God’s judgment. Of course, that definition fits many countries, not America exclusively. (See Option 3 for additional information regarding God’s judgment.)
Option 2: America Is The Great Eagle Mentioned in Revelation 12.
The rescuing Eagle noted in Revelation 12:6, 14 aids and protects the Hebrew people in the last days. This idea, however, requires that America provide exceptional support to Israel in the last days—likely at significant risk and cost: transporting, supplying, and protecting several million Jews for 1260 days.
NOTE: Many believe the current political climate makes this option unlikely. In this writer’s view, the following is more likely:
- The Eagle in Revelation 12 is linked to God’s supernatural provision (cf. Exodus 19:4).
- The land of rescue is not the United States, but rather Petra, in the land of Jordan. Daniel 11:41 notes that this area will not come under the control of the Antichrist.
Option 3: America is the Whore of Babylon in Revelation 13, 17 & 18.
The Whore of Babylon is also called the Daughter of Babylon, or the Woman Who Rides The Beast. Many are quick to dismiss this option, perhaps due to the unflattering description. Though this option may be unlikely, a study of the descriptive phrases the Bible uses to define the attributes of the Daughter of Babylon makes this option worthy of consideration. This writer holds that the descriptions of the Daughter of Babylon when compared to the current condition of American culture and political structure make a strong argument for this position. The nation is described as follows:
- She is noted for her architecture, buildings, and skyline (Isaiah 13:22).
- She is the lone or newest notable world power (Isaiah 47:5, 8).
- She is respected and envied, yet at the same time, hated by the world (Isaiah 18:2).
- She has a unique and remarkable beginning (Isaiah 18:2).
- She is a “Queen among nations” (Isaiah 47:5, 7; Rev. 17, 18; Isaiah 13:6).
- She is called a lady (Isaiah 47:7-9).
- She is a land quartered by mighty rivers (Isaiah 18:2).
- She destroys her land, with pollution/waste (Isaiah 14:20; 18:2, 7).
- She is a democracy—ruled by many counsels (Isaiah 47:13).
- Her governmental system will break down (Isaiah 47:13).
- She is known for religious confusion (Isaiah 47:12-13).
- She is a virgin nation; her lands untouched by foreign invaders (Isaiah 47:1).
- Her enemies lie on the other side of the world (Isaiah 13:5).
- Her people think they are God’s elect and chosen (Isaiah 47:7-8).
- She acts carelessly before the Lord (Isaiah 47:8).
- She is proud, haughty, and does not consider her end (Isaiah 47:7-8).
- She is the youngest and greatest of the End-Time nations (Jeremiah 50:12).
- She is a most powerful nation (Isaiah 47; Jeremiah 50, 51; Revelation 18).
- The strength of her armies will make her the “Hammer of the whole earth.” (Jeremiah 50:23; Revelation 18:23).
- She is a land rich in minerals (Jeremiah 51:13) and agriculture (Jeremiah 50:16, 26-27, 51; Revelation 18).
- She is a leading import/export nation. (Jeremiah 51:13, 51; Revelation 18)
- She sits upon “many waters” (Jeremiah 51:13).
- She turns on her heritage (Jeremiah 50:11-12).
- Her leaders lead their flocks astray (Jeremiah 50:6; implied Revelation 18:2).
- She has a mother nation that remains to her death (Jeremiah 50:12).
- Her mother has the symbol of the lion (Daniel 7:4; Ezekiel 38:13; Jeremiah 51:38; Psalms 17:12).
- She will turn against her own people (Jeremiah 50:7, 33; 51:35; 39; Daniel 7:25; Revelation 13:7; 17:6; 18:24).
- She trades with many via ships all year round (Revelation 18:17-18).
Note the Judgments which will befall the nation referenced above:
JEREMIAH 50: “This is the word the Lord spoke through Jeremiah…‘Babylon will be captured… A nation from the north will attack her and lay waste her land….So Babylonia will be plundered; all who plunder her will have their fill…” ‘Take up your positions around Babylon, all you who draw the bow. Shoot at her! Spare no arrows for she has sinned against the Lord. She surrenders, her towers fall. The noise of battle is in the land, the noise of great destruction! How broken and shattered is the hammer of the whole earth! Come against her from afar…”See, I am against you, you arrogant one,’ declares the Lord, the Lord Almighty, ‘for your day has come…’”
JEREMIAH 51: “See, I will stir up the spirit of a destroyer against Babylon and the people of Leb Kamai.” (this name is an athbash – an acronym or code based on numbering Hebrew letters.) The reference here is the equivalent of Chaldea, which Jeremiah 25:26 associates with Babylon. “Babylon was a gold cup in the Lord’s hand…Babylon will suddenly fall and be broken. Wail over her! Get balm for her pain; perhaps she can be healed. The Lord will carry out His purpose…You who live by many waters and are rich in treasures, your end has come…I will surely fill you with troops…and they will shout in triumph over you…”Daughter Babylon is like a threshing floor at the time it is trampled…Babylon will be captured, the boast of the whole earth seized!”
Option 4: America is One of The Young Lions Mentioned in Ezekiel 38.
Ezekiel 38:13 states, “Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, shall say unto thee, ‘Art thou come to take a spoil? Hast thou gathered thy company to take a prey? To carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take a great spoil?’”
The above passage notes that Sheba, Dedan, and Tarshish resist (or at least question) the vast army of the north that is approaching Israel. The question is, who are the people of Sheba, Dedan, and Tarshish? Several plausible possibilities exist.
- Sheba and Dedan are referenced as the sons of Cush (Genesis 10:7). Sheba and Dedan could be a general reference to the people who occupy lands to the east of Israel (Genesis 25:1-6).
- Tarshish is harder to place. However, most Bible scholars believe it to be among the kingdoms in the west, including the British Isles and Spain.
- America is a young nation. Its birth has links to both Spain and Britain. Hence, some believe America could be one of Ezekiel’s young lions.
The goal of this article is not to frighten, but to inform. Through prophecy, God provides warning and insight. God shares so that His people can prepare (mentally, spiritually, materially). Note that the Bible, with a few exceptions, does not direct believers to flee. Rather, believers are directed to take a stand and be a light. Let me encourage all to pray for their nation, and be a witness to their nation. A time of tribulation and judgment is coming. A rapture is coming. Let His people be found faithful and active in Great Commission work when the Lord returns.
©2018 iamawatchman, Inc. All rights reserved.
I Am A Watchman Ministries materials are copyrighted. Use and redistribution is subject to standard Fair Use Guidelines – Any use in published work (either print or ebooks) must include the copyright reference: “Copyrighted resource of iamawatchman, Inc. All rights reserved. Used by permission.” NOTE: Articles which are re-posted online, in part or total, must include the above statement. We ask that re-posts also include an active link to www.iamawatchman.com
All Pastoral Kits resources are free and available to use as you wish within the above guidelines. Make changes that best fit your application, and feel free to make unlimited copies and distribute them as needed. Our prayer is that God will use these resources to prepare people for the soon return of Jesus Christ. Finish Well.